30 June 2017

Mid-Year Wrap Up (pic heavy)

Whoa.  A blog post!  I had a busy first half of the year which involved working six days a week.  Alas, summer is here and now that I've caught up on sleep, I have been able to do some sewing.

So far this year, I've made 10 skirts, 4 tops, and 3 activewear bottoms.  That's 17 garments - 15 of which were made since May, occasional sickness notwithstanding.

Tops

Burda 6839

Surprisingly this is only my second successful woven Burda shirt.  Whyyyyyyyy did I wait so long to jump on this bandwagon?!  Save for bad button placement, this shirt fits very well with little adjustment.  I don't know why it looks so horribly wrinkled on the front.  The pattern is gathered on the side front, but I swear it doesn't look this bad on me.

Is that a tower placket?   Yes, yes it is.  A friend from work, who also sews, showed me step-by-step how to make it.  Man, this is so simple!  I will never do a continuous lap again.  Well...not on a shirt at least.


 New Look 6407

I've made this pattern a few times.  There's nothing new to say here; it's definitely tried and true.

 Kwik Sew 4201

I made this for a friend of mine.  Let me tell you, this was NOT easy.  The zippered neckline and weird non-inseam pockets were beasts.  Suffice it to say my self-less sewing quota has been met for the next two years.

A bunch of skirts


  New Look 6299

I wasn't feeling this at all after I finished it.  Having tried it on, I can see wearing it this summer.


I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE lapped zippers.  Hate.  I do not even know why I bothered with it this time. 

 
Simplicity 1072; scuba knit

Yeah, don't look too close at the fuckery that is the mismatched waistband.  SMH.  I worked hard to make sure this panel print was matched perfectly on the sides and completely forgot to cut the wasitband.  I had enough fabric, but not enough to match properly.  Oops.
 

 McCall's 6654
(left to right:  floral scuba knits, wool double knit, wool-blend double knit)
Again, there isn't much to add here.  This is a great pattern and a quick sew.  I made the first skirt in about an hour from cut to finish.  Each of these fabrics came from the Arts & Scraps fabric sale. 

BWOF 8-2011-127 (brown wool tweed)

This skirt is a wearable fail.  It's a bit big in the waist because somehow I neglected to add petersham as a stabilizer.  And the hemline is too narrow which makes using stairs an adventure. 

Stitch Magazine 2012:  pin-tuck skirt

Technically this isn't finished; I need to add petersham to the waist.  Don't ask me why I haven't brought myself to do it.

 New Look 6274

This is another great find from Arts & Scraps.  The fabric is polyester faille and sewed easily.  I made a blind hem, but clearly should have used a lighter thread.  Eventually I'll redo it.

 McCall's 7253

I made the first version of this last year and really love it.  This second version is just okay.  Despite taking deeper pleats and seam allowances, it's still big.  I haven't lost weight, trust me.  I just think the fabric has some mechanical stretch that I didn't anticipate.

Instead of stabilizing the waist with petersham, I added facings and bound them with self-made bias tape.  Oh and I bought some labels from the Dutch Label Shop.  I'm impressed with their quality and customer service.  I would order from them again.


Activewear

Having been inspired by Sheila (Sheila CTK), I wanted to up my activewear game.  To start, I made Jalie 3674 (Isabelle) and love it.  I sewed a straight size X for both versions, but I added a little bit more to the seam allowance to the one on the right.  I definitely plan to make several more versions.

I also made Simplicity 8212, though I don't have any pictures.  It's an okay pattern, but I think I'll stick with Jalie.

 In Progress

 Simplicity 2810

I started this back in May and am almost finished.  I got sidetracked for three reasons:  (1) I had several days of not feeling well (2) I need to re-cut the upper sleeve lining and (3) it's summer and who needs a long sleeved lined jacket?  SMH

But look at the welt pockets!


 
muslin of Simplicity 8295

I also started this in May.  I was discouraged by the slippery fabric and adjustments needed to make the back fit better.  I intend to finish it because I have the perfect fabric and hardware to make this look really good.

McCall's 6112 (middle view)

The fabric is cut, I'm just not motivated by the dark purple fabric I chose.  It's summer and I want to sew something bright.

Some patterns I want to sew

Simplicity 8379, McCall's 7465, Burda 6869, Grainline Archer
Cashmerette Lenox, Kwik Sew 4207, Cashmerette Concord
McCall's 6744, 

Not pictured:  Style Arc Stacie and Sally, Jalie Éléonore, Simplicity 8137
These are the patterns in my current queue.  Ambitious?  Yes.  Possible?  Maybe. =)

That's it for now.  This post has been in the works for the last month.   I had the intention to write, but not the desire.  Kna'mean? I hope to return to blogging more regularly.  We'll see.

Until next time, peace!

L

15 comments:

  1. SO glad to "see" you!!! :-D

    So that Simplicity tunic? Yes. Please!! I can't wait to see that one, really.

    LOVE your in-progress jacket. That welt is a thing of beauty. So much goodness in this post... The Burda shirt, the beautiful scuba print(!!)...a whole bunch of WINS!

    So glad you've been sewing still and hopefully you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KS!

      The Simplicity tunic is turning out to be interesting to fit. I'll share details when I get back to it. I have to figure out how to fit the front.

      I'm soooo close to finishing the jacket. All it needs is the sleeves, upper collar, and hem! So close.

      As far as health, I have good and bad days. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Holy koliddo .... loving everything. The skirts are soooo pretty. Now you know I love blazers... just in case you don't like it, I'll kindly be the recipient. ..lol. Thanks for the shout-out ....cute leggings, I need to make workout shorts now. You did a superb job on the placket too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! If this blazer doesn't work out, it's yours for sure. =)

      Delete
  3. There is so much amazing-ness in this post! Glad to see you back! I LOVE the activewear, and your gorgeous button downs! I am jumping on the button down bandwagon too, lol! This is a great wrap-up. I hope to see more from you in the rest of this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, thanks Vanessa! The New Look pattern is a gem that's been around for a while. Get on the bandwagon girl!

      I hope to post more often as well.

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you back in the blogosphere! Wow - you have certainly been productive! I love the polka dot blouse with the yellow skirt...striking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa! I like the polka dot shirt with yellow skirt too. It's just enough of both to not look like a bumble bee. =)

      Delete
  5. Whew. You've been busy. Despite the fuckery I LOVE that scuba skirt. Also, must try my hand a tower placket myself. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes. Fuckery notwithstanding, the skirt is pretty neat. I love wearing it too. The tower placket is super simple. My coworker allowed me to record her explaining the process. For some weird reason, there is no sound to the video, but the steps are quite clear. Let me know if you'd like to try!

      Delete
  6. Umm, not quite sure how you managed to make all these garments while working 6 days, but I think they are all fantastic. Okay, so a few misses here and there, but really, given that the process is part of the sewing thing and a great antidote to life, I think this is a great result. As for the Scuba slight fail, - it really doesn't look too bad in the photo, but probably still glares at you. Just wear it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh no. I barely sewed during the 6-day work schedule. All but two of these were completed since May.

      Yeah, that waistband is bad, but no one can see it. =)

      Delete
  7. Back on the grid as of yesterday, and thought I would see what you were up to. Wow! Love it all, but the faille and blouses are especially inspiring. Hope you are feeling better. I came home a bit under the weather myself. Hoping to update the 8295 this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! That's a lot of sewing! Go, L!

    The burda shirt with tower placket looks great. Lots of great skirts!! I'd love to raid your wardrobe! Lol.. You got perfect seamlines in the scuba skirt with those geometric seamlines

    SO Happy to see your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't realize all these tons of sewing was done just in summer... Makes me want to take a week off work and just sew! I'll stick to simple stuff though. Lol..

    Hmmmm... Let me dwell on this idea a bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...